Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Post-baby blues

I've been having a rather difficult time coping with the aftermath of pregnancy and giving birth. I knew that things weren't going to magically spring back into normalcy... but I guess, by evaluating my emotions and feelings, I hoped they would.

Especially in the clothing/body department. What happened to my flat, little tummy?? Or why don't my pants fit me anymore? Where did these hips come from? I'm tired of wearing my maternity pants, but my other pants just don't seem to like me anymore. Muffin top, anyone?? Kate told me to go buy larger-sized pants that I could wear in this transition phase. I tried.... and after trying up to 5 sizes larger than my pre-baby size, I gave up and stormed out of the store.

Exercise is another area. I tried to go for a jog. Ya... I complete about 1/4 of a mile before I died! And trying to do sit-ups (my area of forte pre-baby)... ummm, do I even know how to sit up without someone pulling my arm and helping me??

And many more areas... all you moms out there know. It's like I have to begin everything from ground zero and build up. Very frustrating and I'm just not motivated. I think mostly I'm just stubborn - I look at a size L and think, "I'm not a large! I'm a small... and I won't put on anything else until I fit into all my old clothes." So... you can imagine my extensive wardrobe.

I don't know why I'm going on and on about this. Just feeling the frustration.
----
P.S. I'm not necessarily wanting to be like celebrities... the picture just showed what I talking about. :-)

10 comments:

Shannon said...

Oh honey, don't look to celebrities and feel down. They have nannies, personal trainers and probably don't nurse so they don't have to eat anything if they don't want to.

The King is enthralled by your beauty and I will pray He will bring you comfort in that area today. Love you!

amandamike said...

HEy!!! I still struggle with it and Kylie is 16 months old. It is so hard and I did you what your sister suggested by buying pants a few sizes bigger but even though the size is not what you like it does make you feel better in the end believe me. I cried in the store the first time I went and bought a regular pair of jeans. It does get better and I know looking at the celebrities makes me sick I can't stand it, but it is true they have personal trainers. Hang in there I will be praying for you!!!

joy said...

little bella is only 2 months old. with my first one, i didn't start feeling more like myself until he was around 5 months. that means, i didn't even try to exercise--i was too tired and couldn't muster the energy. you're so young, your body will pop back into shape. i understand it's frustrating. and, i'm so glad you like the vampire books. the movie comes out in only 2 weeks and a couple of days! i'm so excited. :)

Kristen Borland said...

oh, jenny, it's a tough time. it's good to talk about it and not try to stifle your feelings of frustration and disappointment. it does take awhile, and maybe it will eventually require a whole new wardrobe because your hips just may not go completely back, but you WILL get to the point where you can exercise the way you want and look and feel the way you want. we all have to come to grips with saying good bye to the pre-pregnant body. babies change us, that's for sure! but i have no doubt you will have a hot mama body.

and if none of that made any sense, it's because my brain is so foggy these days!!

Michelle said...

I am right there with you! I definitely thought by 3 months I'd be FOR SURE back in my normal clothes, but alas, I am not yet there. I keep trying on my old jeans almost every day to see if they fit yet. :) I have hips where I never had hips before and YES with the muffin top, haha! I don't like buying bigger sized clothes either, so I have a fairly small wardrobe as well. I did have to break down and buy SOME things though since I've gone back to work. But I just wanted to let you know that you're not alone! Running does get easier though, I promise -- the first few times I felt massive and disgusting, but I'm almost back to my old mile times now, which is awesome! It just takes some work!! Hang in there!

Sarah Griffin said...

I feel your pain! It sucks... I want my body back. We'll not really since I was already overweight to begin with. But losing 20lbs throughout pregnancy should have done something for me, right? NOpE. Nothing fits and everything looks gross, and I can't part with the maternity pants. Sit ups? Oh heck no... those don't work well anymore. :(

Kristen said...

I hear ya! One more reason why i plan to ADOPT, ha ha :) I've worked far too hard to have my boobs sag, my stomach stretch and my hips widen!

Jodi said...

Jenny, I know it's hard, but you will get back to some sense of normalcy, although your body will never be the same as pre-baby.

That said: this is God's purpose for you, to be a mother! To grow a baby in your body and take the battle scars that come with it. Those things, wider hips, stretch marks, softer belly all mark Bella's beginning and entrance into this world! How glorious is it that we, as women, get this honor of carrying these babies!

I'm about 5 months along right now with number 2, and I'm not free of complaining (just ask my husband), but I'm growing a little life! That is an honor, and I think if we get too focused on what pregnancy does to our bodies that it can quickly turn to vanity and obsession (NOT saying that is what you are doing), and takes away from what God intended our bodies for and how He wants us to look inside and out. :)

Larissa said...

Yup. I finally fit back into my "skinny" clothes a month before I got pregnant with Grant...that's about 20 months after Caedra was born.
I just didn't have the energy to really exercise until I stopped nursing (15mo) then it took about three months for my hormones to level out...then I felt normal, finally!!

Unknown said...

Dearest Jenny--
God has given you the perfect exercise plan--being a mom.
Don't look to celebs--look to your beautiful daughter.

I used to put both boys (individually of course) on my legs and do crunches--not many to start but worked my way up. We did alot of dancing and swinging during our baby play time at home. It took a while to get back, but we had alot of fun doing it.
Just think--Bella has her first job--Mommy's personal trainer!
We continue our prayers for all of you.
With love,
Your "Aunt" Jenny

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...