Monday, November 9, 2009

Honesty and a critique of my blog

Honesty. Frankness. Transparency.

Good, right?

Sometimes, people can say you are too honest. Or honest, in an untimely manner.

I've experienced some helpful criticism with my writing. Helpful, yet hurtful. Hurtful, because I am a woman with pride. A woman who doesn't like to be wrong. A woman who prides herself in her work.

I always hesitate when I write honestly. I imagine who will be reading this. I imagine what they could conjure up while reading my words. I wonder if anyone may be encouraged, or if anyone may be brought down. I do try and use discretion, as much as public blogs can be discrete. Yet, honesty is so precious to me. So true and so hard to come by.

At times, I look at my blog and wonder, "What is the point?" It began as a way to keep in touch with family that are thousands of miles away. But over the many months, it has become a social outlet, a creative writing tool, a source of joy and connecting with random people. It has become primarily a Mommy-blog, although I swore I wouldn't succumb to that. I have periodically looked back at my pre-baby posts and wistfully wished for those days... those days when I wrote more about depth and life as I pondered it. But now... my days are filled with thoughts such as:
- meal planning
- is that poop I smell?
- how do you cure a diaper rash?
- is that a fit she's throwing?? how do I teach her that's unacceptable?
- I hope she sleeps long...
- how many times am I going to pick up these toys?
- this is the 26th time we've read this book today...
- gosh, I LOVE this child!

And in the midst of these various thoughts running through my head every day, I find myself longing to write about more meaningful things. Like life...like challenges...like politics...like religion...like marriage. And I want to write honestly. Frankly. Transparently. Because realness inspires me.

A happy life and a happy marriage, with picture-perfect children living in a precious, little town home isn't inspiring. It just makes everyone who reads about it feel like, "Why don't I have it together like that?? What's wrong with me and my life?" Reading about people with real struggles, real day-to-day monotony, really fighting to be something more in a world that says laziness and selfishness are okay... and how they deal with those issues in real-life form...... that is inspiring.

Dear readers, I love to be honest with you. Posts like this are not a cry for help. They are simply written to let you know that I'm right there along with you. I love my husband more than anything. I say that marriage is hard, but I don't blame it on anything he is. Marriage is hard because being SELFLESS is hard. Putting others' needs above mine is downright DIFFICULT. Loving someone more than I love myself will take me a lifetime to learn. I write because I take heart when I know I'm not alone.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I write because I take heart when I know I'm not alone" -You

I read because you help me know I am not alone.

Thank You for your honesty and for writing. We need more of both in this world.

Blessings Jenny! `Jenny

Joanie said...

Beautiful thoughts, Jenny.

Emily Takes Photos said...

I feel like if more people wrote like you do, we'd all have more realistic expectations of life, marriage, child-rearing, etc, and we'll all be better prepared to handle what life throws at us. I love and appreciate your honesty!

Amanda B. said...

Oh Jenny,
I love your honesty, don't change it one bit! There were so many times after leaving bible study with you all back in the day that Joshua and I would say how much we loved how honest you were about things. It made us realize how much we all go through the same struggles. Your honesty was so encouraging. You never pretended that you were perfect and had it all together, but you've always displayed how much you strive to be more like Christ. You are an amazing woman!

Melissa said...

No, you're not alone! Thanks for your transparency! I'm praying for you and Bella on your temporary "venture."

Mama Mote said...

Thinking about you and praying for your little family. You are definitely not alone. Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being honest, Jenny. I know we never knew each other except through our mutual faith in the Lord, and the fact we both attended NWC (and you checked out a few books to me), but I do read this, love your honesty, your cute daughter, and the real-ness of your struggles as a wife, mother, and Christian. I like knowing I'm not alone too. Like someone wrote above, I read this so I know I'm not alone!

Larissa said...

Amen! This is why I'm so drawn to you. Love.

Miranda said...

Jenny, I stumbled onto your blog a few months ago and LOVE it. I read you faithfully, and I respect you in ways I can't put into words. I struggled with my blog and the reactions I got for being (too) candid. After I got a sermon in the mail, I quit public posts. I admire your honesty and your beautiful writing. Thanks for all of your thoughts and the transparency.

Erika said...

Thank you for all your honesty, Jenny! Marriage IS hard and I will completely attest to that because these past 3.5 years have been some of the most challenging but rewarding years of my life. Thank you for sharing your struggles... it helps me and your other readers know that we are not alone! So, please continue being you and being honest!! :)

Kristen Borland said...

that's the lovely thing... when we open up we find out that none of us is alone in this.

Molly V said...

Jenny, you are so beautiful, and you have on of my favorite blogs to read because you make me feel like I'm not so crazy! :) Thanks for the authenticity in your blog...your real life honesty ironically makes your blog one-of-a-kind! Love you!

Wendi Garland said...

Keep up the great blog, Jenny... God is working through you, blessing others (me!).

a.love said...

Lady!! I hear ya!! The criticism I received on my old blog literally shut me down. I have had to find another place to BE where I can say it as it is in my head and heart and move on or rejoice or whatever it is!!
It's hard to shut the negative down but it sure does seem like a voice who's being transparent--sharing the woes of being human and yet having a heart for God would be just what satan would want to silence.
Keep moving forward!! Keep being real!! :)

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...