Sunday, December 13, 2009

female mathematics and us girls...

I'm not like the stereotypical gal: I don't like shopping. In fact, I really dislike shopping. The crowds, the frivolous spending of money, the envy and greed that enter into my perfectly content heart pre-shopping. I'd rather just steer clear of malls altogether. In order to do any type of shopping (clothing, groceries, Christmas...) I must have a list in hand - in order to keep me focused: get in, get out. That's my policy.

That said.... I'm a SUCKER for deals. Thrift stores, garage sales, consignment shops.... ahhh, they drag me in and I could wander around for hours. I LOVE a good deal! So much so, that my dear husband makes fun of me and says I have my own way of equating math. Take this for an example:
I wanted to buy Bella a Christmas dress. But, can't bring myself to pay $15 for a dress she'll probably only wear once or twice. I see one at the thrift shop: $2. Much more doable.

We had a Christmas party to go to... I kinda wanted a new top.... so I moseyed on down to T.J. Maxx. Found a really beautiful, chunky red sweater for $25 (still kinda pricey for me). But, it was previously sold at The Limited.... which means it probably was originally around $50.

So, according to my calculations... I paid:
$2 instead of $15
&
$25 instead of $50
thereby saving me a grand total of
$38.
Right???
Trav says not so much. He says I wouldn't have bought the clothing at full price anyway, so I didn't save anything. And while he does appreciate my thriftiness, he just can't understand the simplicity of my mathematics. Men...

Speaking of men..... I may just have a very handsome one walking through my door tomorrow.... more on that later!

10 comments:

Emily Takes Photos said...

Well, no matter how much you saved or didn't save, you two look adorable! :)

Molly V said...

Jenny! I totally agree with you on the shopping thoughts! I hate spending money on clothes...so overprice usually. :) You & Bella look darling in your new clothes!!

Mama Mote said...

Good job. I love saving when I can. I agree with the above - you both look beautiful in your new clothes. And yay for Trav coming home. Maybe we'll see you in SLO if we get up there.

Mama Mote said...

Oh, re: that handsome man coming through your door tomorrow - Dan asks, "Does your husband know about it?" As you said...Men!

tclark said...

I was admiring your sweater today in Sunday school! Very cute and even better since it was a great price :-)

Cassie said...

I totally get the logic...good for you!

Kristen Borland said...

oh i totally agree with your math!!

i bought lola's Christmas dress for this year at last year's clearance sale at kmart. $6. not quite $2, but i was pretty proud. and i think she's worn it twice already with at least two more, maybe three more times before Christmas. so i just bought her next year's Christmas dress, because i fell in love with one and couldn't wait until the after-Christmas sales. $15. bad kristen!! but after having two boys, Christmas dresses are just too fun for me!!

Melissa said...

I totally agree. Saved $38. And I tell Grant that it surely means I get $38 to use on something else!!! :-) I'm praying for the winds to die down!!!

Liv said...

you know how I obsess with thriftieness as well. Tommy says I never calculate all the stores I went to to find the price I did therefore really spending more in gas and time which doesn't really make for a better deal. But there is just some thing in my mind that after $25 its just way too expensive even if its perfect.

Lisa Leonard said...

i wish i didn't love shopping--sigh. i have a surprise for you. will you email me? xo
lisa@lisaleonardonline.com

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...