I'm not usually (read: never) into all the politically correct (PC) hoop-la, but I thought I would share a motherly opinion about cleft lips. Please, never refer to it as a harelip, especially to the mother/father/person. In the past two weeks or so, I've had more than one person come and question me about "your daughter's harelip..." and each time, it rather shocks me. I guess it's not a huge deal, but just comes across rather crass-like and inconsiderate. As if the clefting were some sort of disgusting deformity, rather than my daughter's beautiful mouth/nose. .... Any other parents or people with cleft lips disagree? It might just be my own opinion, but I'd love to hear others...
Our weekend was uneventful, but enjoyed. The weather was glorious and made for lots of time outside. Travis did a really good job of managing his time with his master's schoolwork and was able to spend lots of time with Bella when she was awake - which we both appreciated. He also just recently learned how to make popcorn on the stove, and wanted to surprise us with his culinary skills one night before we watched a little movie together........ The popcorn was great, there was just an excess of it! We'll work on the right measurements later...
I'm almost done with Bella's jacket!! Can't wait to show you pictures... I do have this awful feeling that it might not fit her for long (read: only a month or two). Oh well... good thing we're having a girl next. :-)
Must get going... have lots to do today and this week before our birthday adventure begins... more on that later!!!
Monday, August 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






9 comments:
oh, I think I love your blog more than any other blog I read. Seriously. I really should comment more often, cause I read everyday. I really loved your previous post on what Travis said to you and I loved the post on developing "quiet times" with Bella. I am often very encouraged by your faith and commitment to God.
I have voiced my opinion on calling a cleft a harelip more than once, getting myself riled up and thoroughly offended and making sure the offender knew so! Part of it is having grown up with a cleft and part of it is that it is just an old fashioned term and seems rude and degrading to me.
Yay for homemade popcorn on the stove! We have a Whirley Pop and I lurve it!
I totally agree with you! I have never gotten that from anyone before...more like the "What happened to your baby" or "What's wrong". Just as bad, in my opinion. People just have no tact. Anyway, can't believe how big Bella has gotten! She gets cuter & cuter:)
I don't usually mind if people call it a "harelip" if they're from a certain generation, and honestly, I haven't gotten it from anyone other than the random golden oldies. ;-) (Our 3 year old son has a cleft.)
I also love your blog!! I think this is probably one of the few time I've commented, though, which I know is terrible.
My son was born with a clubfoot. I found most of the time when tactless things were said, it was due to ignorance. When he was about 6 weeks old we were in the Dr. office for a cast change. There were 2 elderly women "whispering" about me, although I could hear everything they said. They said that it was my fault, that I must have been "running" around doing drugs when I was pregnant. Now I have been taught that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. After that I decided not to be offended but to educate people on what really is a clubfoot and how/why it occurs.
Oh Jenny, people can be so tactless. Just like it drives me insane when someone calls another person "retarded" or a "retard." My niece who has down syndrome is mentally retarded, so I find it offensive when it's used as an insult.
I love the picture of Bella and Travis...so comfy in her daddy's arms.
Can't wait to see the jacket and hear all about her birthday!!
Oh Jenny, I think there will never be an end to people displaying their lack of tounge control. Although I have honestly never heard that term before. I don't think anyone has ever said that to my brother once. But I'd have to ask him to be sure. We'll continue to pray for Bella's protection from unkind comments.
When Maddie was born, she had the problem that a lot of infants do of being cross-eyed. One lady at a store came up and said, "He's so cute (*note: Maddie had on a pink onesie with flowers) except its extremely unfortunate that he has two horrible lazy eyes." If she hadn't walked away immediately, I might be in jail still....
Emily - that's unreal!! My gosh... Poor Maddie. :-(
Amanda and anonymous: yes, I agree... it is good and helpful to educate people, and I usually do. Although it can be difficult to do it in a tactful way when someone blurts our untactful comments! :-) And like you said, Amanda, the elderly comments don't bother me... actually, elderly people seem to be less focused on the outside appearance.
Post a Comment