Saturday, December 4, 2010

you can't have him


Him, meaning my husband.

First off, I completely agree that this is a terrible picture of me and should not be posted to the internet.  I was trying to get rid of my new friend: my double chin.  That's what's with the chin-thrust and all.  And yes, we had just woken up.  But... I've lost all sense of pride these last few weeks: clothes don't fit, my face is getting chubby, and I just want to sit and eat more sugar.  So... whatever.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Lisa is here.  Lisa, my very dear friend from college.  My freshman, junior, and senior year roommate.  Lisa, the one from our [meaning Trav & me] love story.  Lisa, the one that convinced me to give Travis a go... Lisa, my dear, dear Lisa.

And Trav planned it all.  Knew that I'd want someone to keep me company for a bit while he's off traversing the world.  Planned it in advance, kept it hidden and secret, and made the journey fun for me and something to look forward to all week long.

So, no, you can't have my husband - even though he is the best.  But here's a tip for all you single ladies out there (not that I really have any idea what I'm talking about... or how I quite landed this hunk of a man...):

Marry someone that astounds you - that truly knocks your socks off.  'Cuz, while it's true that life gets hard, and sometimes you marry a military man who is gone 80% of the time and works 14 hours days, and then you go to bed wondering who you married and where the heck is he??, and while it's true that life can get complicated and things don't always go the way you imagined they would...
... chances are, if you marry someone that astounds you, he'll continue to astound you if you just open your eyes and let him.  And most of the time, you won't have to open your eyes too widely to realize how astounding a gift he really is.

7 comments:

Rachel L said...

i'm so excited that Lisa got to visit you! (and a little jealous too...) and way to go Travis for pulling off a surprise like that! i hope your time together is just, well, you know... wonderful. Love you both! and bella too...
love,
rach

Ana Oh said...

Very nice! I'm so happy I have my hunk of a man. He never ceases to surprise me. Oh and he's military too!

Mama Mote said...

Oh, Jenny! How sweet it is to have a husband who still surprises you and a friend who has the time to come visit you. I hope you have a great time with Lisa. You are very blessed.

LBeck said...

thats an AWESOME surprise! Good job travis! so glad you didn't ruin it you sneeky!! Have SOO much fun. Hope she gets to stay for a little while. Enjoy your girl time! :)

Betsy said...

that is so sweet, travis! jenny, that is so sweet, that's like the best gift for you right now and trav knew you'd appreciate seeing lisa so much. this post made me cry thinking of how he loves you in such practical and tangible ways.

thinking of you, love you and tell lisa hi! :)

Adventures with Claire, Jason, and Jonas!! said...

Jenny! I am so glad you were surprised and that it all worked out! Yay Lis- I was so excited when she told me she was headed to visit you---I wish we could all be together, but hopefully this summer will work out---all of us and 5, potentially 6 kids!! Yikers!! We are getting to be a big group!

Ebethteach said...

Great advice, no matter what preggo hormones are flowing;0

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...