Monday, July 23, 2012

how to make a deployment count

This deployment has been one of my favorites, as favorite as deployments can go.

There were a couple of factors inducing this opinion:
- it's summertime
- my girls are old enough to have fun & sleep through the night
- we all were healthy

But, this deployment also yielded much fruit.  For the first time in many years, I sense that the veil that has been over my heart and eyes has been lifted.  I know our family has been bathed in prayer since this deployment began, and I don't underestimate the power of prayer.  Travis has been surrounded by Godly men, strong men, honest and open men while out in the desert.  I have had time to be in the Word, Godly family surrounding me, books to guide me.  I also have been memorizing.

I wish I could say memorizing Scripture was one of my strong suits, but it isn't.  In fact, it's a chore.  But these past 3 months, it has been my joy and turned my heart towards the Truth in more than one instance.  I've found that memorizing isn't hard to do, if you simply CHOOSE to do it.  It's, more often than not, a choice of whether I took those 15 minutes to work on my verses or spend time on the internet.

My aunt and I memorized Isaiah 55 together.  It's a gem to have hidden in my heart, and I'm so grateful I do.

I also try and work with our girls on memorizing.  I've picked a few passages over the past months that we work on daily, or almost daily.  I have no special recipe for this, except I break down the passage into small chunks and make up hand motions.  We go over it and over it until they (namely, Bella) has it down.

And because I think simply seeing others do gives motivation for me to do, here are Bella's and my memory verses.  Pick a passage, small or large, and commit it to memory.  You won't regret it.  God's Word is active, and like it says in Isaiah 55, "it shall accomplish that for which I [He, God] purpose."


(I picked Hebrews 13:5-6 for the children to memorize because we were
struggling with a bout of the "I want it!"'s and I wanted contentedness
to be on our lips and in our hearts.  It has worked well to have this
one memorized, as we use it quite often while in stores and whatnot.)


"Keep your life free from love of money,
and be content with what you have,
for He has said,
"I will never leave you, nor forsake you."

So we can confidently say, 
"The LORD is my helper, I will not fear.
What can man do to me?"

5 comments:

Kim said...

Love this! Way to go, Jenny! Isaiah 55:8-9 is one of my favorite, go-to verses. I also love Bella. I need to find another verse for my kids to memorize. It's a motivator to find another, applicable one. Thanks for sharing!

Rachel L said...

wow jen, i love it! i've been memorizing is. 40 for almost a whole year now, and need to just finish it...it's been a while though, but maybe when i see you we can practice our verses in the car.... great job teaching bella too...she inspires me :)

Kate said...

ok, the best part of Bella's verse is when she says the word "confidently". her voice is so stinking adorable and it makes me want to give her a million kisses. give her my love and tell her i am so proud of her. :) you too, jen. good job!

Anonymous said...

Such a good reminder! Andy and I are memorizing a passage together and I haven't even started, but I will now :)

Janet said...

you shall go out with joy and be led forth in peace
i love you so much

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...