Monday, June 10, 2013

Rhett James

Thought I'd share the background of Rhett's name.  I enjoy hearing what sparks a couple to pick the names they do, so here's our story.  (Here's Bella's and Summer's too, if you're interested.)


Way back when, when I was early pregnant with Summer, I began the book Gone With the Wind. I remember at one point, while living in Mississippi, ripping on Scarlett O'Hara and how disgustingly selfish of a character she was.  My southern friend, Paige, quickly interrupted me and said, "But... have you read the book yet?  Once you read the book, you'll understand her more."  I was quickly silenced, because no, I had only seen the movie.  A thousand times, mind you, but still... the book is ALWAYS better than the movie.  So anyway...... I began the book a few years later.  It took me about two chapters to get hooked and then, wham bam, I couldn't put that book down.  Called my mom and convinced her to read it and we both wept our way through til the end.  So so good.

At one point, while reading the book, I remember thinking how much I liked the name Rhett.  Then  I mentally paired it with our last name and *ding ding ding* the lights went flashing and I fell in love with how it sounded.  I could just picture the boy/man: a handsome guy with shoulders like his Daddy.  Fortunately, Travis liked it as well.  We subsequently learned that Rhett means "advice, or counsel."  I have prayed that he would grow to be a man of wise advice and sound counsel.  That he would be full of wisdom from above and use it circumspectly.


We get one of two reactions when we share his name:
(1) most common: Brett?  Ray?  Rat?  What did you say??  Ohhh... Rhett?  Mmm...
&
(2) Rhett!!!  I love it!!!  I love Gone With the Wind.  :-)

Travis at first was telling people I named him after Rhett Butler, which isn't really the case, as he is rather a playboy.  But, I guess I did get the name from the book, and honestly, in the book, he's a lot more likable than in the movie.  All this to say, go read Gone With the Wind!!!

And we both liked James as his middle name.  In Trav's words, it covers a lot of ground.  You see, James is:
* Travis' middle name
* My dad's name
* My Papa's and great-grandfathers' names
* Travis' Grandpa's name
* My brother's first name
* My sister's husband's name

And all that to say, the moniker stands for many people we love and admire.

And that's a wrap!  Oh, p.s. today is my 7th wedding anniversary.  Of course, T-man is out of town... but HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, LOVE!! 

5 comments:

Kali said...

I LOVE his name! Wish I had thought of that ;-) And James certainly does cover a lot of ground! Hope you are settling in. I love seeing your pictures - they are just precious, and it helps me imagine a bit what my life will look like in about 10 more weeks. And happy happy anniversary to you two! How has 7 years passed anyway? Hope you get to celebrate together very soon.

Sarah said...

My baby girl's name is Scarlett! They go together perfectly. ;) I seriously love his name. Although, I don't think I could name our boy (if we have one) Rhett, just because of our daughter's name....

Erika said...

Congratulations on your son!! I love the name Rhett...I'm putting Gone with the Wind on my list of books to read this summer. I've never read it either but I've seen the movie many times! Congrats again!

Dana said...

Love the background of his name! Thanks to your picture on instagram I have downloaded Gone With the Wind to my Nook and plan on reading it when I'm done with the one I'm on now. I've never seen the movie or read the book, so I can't wait :)

Have a lovely day!

The Kiser Family said...

Hehehe! Just catching up reading your lovely blog and so enjoyed reading this and your little shout out! So glad you read the book and loved it! Your little boy is precious, and I may be biased, but with a name like Rhett, two wonderful parents, and a Florida birth certificate, he is sure to be a true Southern gentleman. ;)

data:newerpagetitle data:olderpagetitle data:homepageUrl
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...